Mauritius as an Investment Hub
The tax effectiveness of the company’s carefully designed structure is extremely important. The listed entity is the first foreign company to have been listed in Mauritius and, as a BVI-registered company, is tax-free. The constitution of the company allows for a speedy dual listing in another jurisdiction, if required. The company will continue to utilize the Mauritius jurisdiction as a platform.
There are a number of reasons for this, including the following:
- Attractive taxation regime – Mauritius has double-taxation treaties with 33 countries including Botswana, France, Germany, Italy, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland and the United Kingdom. The rate of corporate income tax in Mauritius is currently 15 per cent on chargeable income. There are no withholding or capital gains taxes and no estate duty or inheritance tax on the inheritance of shares in a global business entity.
- Robust but flexible regulatory regime– The Mauritian authorities have been extremely prudent in adopting the best international law and regulations, by learning from the way that other jurisdictions have developed. The regime, supervised by the Mauritius’ Financial Service Commission (FSC), provides an effective framework for conducting activities in the financial services sector. There is no foreign exchange control.
- Exemplary Governance – Mauritius is a worldwide reference for political stability and has recently been ranked as the top sub-Saharan country by the Ibrahim Index of African Governance. This index measures 48 African countries on five criteria, namely: safety & security; rule of law; transparency & corruption; participation & human rights; and sustainable economic opportunity & human development.
- Guaranteed confidentiality – Mauritius offers guaranteed confidentiality to those engaged in legitimate business through express statutory provisions and customary laws.
- Credible exchange with incentives for foreign investors– The Stock Exchange of Mauritius Limited has won for the second consecutive year the “Most Innovative African Stock Exchange of the Year Award” at the Institutional Investment Summit and Index Series Awards organized by Africa investor (Ai), a leading international research and communication group, in collaboration with the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).